Thursday, November 19, 2009

LIFE AND DEATH EXPERIENCES OF A LOCAL MISSION CHURCH PREACHER

There was a couple I knew very well who I used to often visit with when I was a manager at Cici's Pizza. They were not real religious, but appreciated the fact that me and the other managers were strong in our faith. A few years later after I had left CiCi's and was in full time ministry--the man died and they literally knew no preachers or church leaders who could perform the funeral. So when the widow called me, I was of course honored to help.

I remember meeting with the family as I always do before a funeral--to get details and memories and other information that I could use for the service. I think there was two grown children and them as well as the widow could only tell me a few details about this man. And while he said he believed in God, it did not appear that he had ever had much of a relationship with the Lord. Of course, when we preach funerals--we don't preach people into heaven or hell.

So come the day of the funeral--I had put together the best eulogy I could with the little information I had. I walk into the funeral home expecting to see at least maybe 30 or 40 people. Instead I think there were about 10 people there. It felt so depressing and just heartwrenching! This man had lived for almost 80 years, had been a businessman, knew many local people--and yet--just a handful of his family and friends were there to say goodbye. And his widow seemed just so helpless and soooo sad! So I just did the best I could to honor this man's life and remind everyone how much God loves us and cherishes His children. I think I read about when King David's son died and how eventually he moved on and still had to serve God. But I just kept thinking how sad it would be to live a life without a loving church family, without the daily hope of the Lord in one's life, and all the blessings that flow from such a life.

I was so proud and honored to be there and it was a blessing to get to try to comfort that family and plant seeds about what a wonderful life Jesus offers! And yet, it was a really hard experience.

And my final thoughts on this are simply--what do other families do when a loved one dies and they have no church or minister or anyone really to turn to? We will talk about that more in my next writing. But know this--our God so loves us and wants to bless us and keep us so close to His bosom! He is so full of love for us! Let us cling to Him closely and praise His name daily!

Grace and Peace,

Bruce

No comments: