Tuesday, December 15, 2009

MORE REFLECTIONS ON SHAWN

I guess around 3 months or so ago, me and Shawn and our two boys went out to East Texas to stay at a farm a friend of mine has out there. Shawn is not much of an outdoorsman, but just came to hang out. I was going through a rough time personally and needed to be away with a true and real friend. And thats exactly what happened!

Our boys played all day each day and Shawn and I would either walk around the farm or ride on the "Gator" or just sit on the front porch of the farm house and just talk. He would share struggles he was going through and I would do the same. We prayed together a lot and it was so peaceful. There were many moments where he did not necessarily have the words to fix my problems, but he listened so well and offered the comforting words of compassion he could offer. It was enough. Just him being there with me soothed me and sustained me--God used Shawn well during that time to bless me.

Our boys had a great time--but so did us two "old men" who were once boys their ages playing together many years ago! We just talked a lot and enjoyed our time together as two real friends and brothers! Each afternoon and evening, we would drive into Mineola for a meal or to go to Wal-Mart to get more shotgun shells. He really enjoyed seeing Bryson get outdoors and have the kind of fun boys are supposed to have! Although, Bryson almost killed all of us the first time he held a shotgun! :) But the Lord kept us all alive! :)

Oh, how I long to be back on that front porch out in the country talking to Shawn as he sat there smoking his cigs and drinking his Dr. Pepper. The two only material things he ever really cared about having! For Shawn was the most unmaterialistic person I ever met! Oh what I would not give to just have that simple time with my simple friend again! What I would not give to just be able to say: "Shawn, you have such immense value and you make such a difference in my life and so many others' lives! I love you bro! I love you my great friend of many years!"

Good times--oh yes--great times! I am so blessed!

Bruce

No comments: