Friday, December 25, 2009

CHRISTMAS AND VALUES OF OUR KIDS

Greetings in our Lord Jesus Christ,

Tonight was so special--as we celebrated a yearly tradition in our home-where me, Christi, and Jaici and Jayden watched "Its A Wonderful Life." I was beginning to think it would not work out for us this year--but by the grace of God it came to pass.

The movie is so special for so many reasons. First and foremost it is special to me because it gives my kids a chance to see some real values besides what I preach on each Sunday--that are truly good and wholesome and reflect Christ. George Bailey is so the kind of man I long to be each day. He truly cares for others and puts himself first--just as Christ tells us we are to deny ourselves. As I write this, I realize the movie is not a particularly Christ centered movie--but does have a lot of Godly focus to it.

George Bailey sacrifices often, his wants and dreams to serve and bless others he loves. He learns at an early age, the values his father taught him--to look out for the little guy and to remember those who would not have so many blessings in their lives. And while George's dreams are much bigger than his father's--he winds up following in his father's footsteps and helping the poor and working class of Bedford Falls have a chance to own their own homes and have a little taste of the American Dream! My favorite part of the movie is when George is sparring with Mr. Potter and tells him--and I paraphrase--"That rabble you speak of, are the ones who do most of the working and dying around here and is it too much to ask for them to have a place to live and a roof over their heads." I so love that moment--where he stands up for the little guy and his father's ideas!

I so want my children to grow up at least being exposed to such values! My kids don't have to follow in my footsteps and be full time ministers--but I do want them to grow up to understand the importance of serving others and showing love and kindness and not live their lives being self-centered and self-focused. If you ever look at the word "SIN"--just take out the middle letter "I." "I" and self focus leads often to sin and an unhealthy life.

Life is so much more than materialism and looking for the next best and biggest thrill. The kind of love and compassion that was shown George Bailey towards the end of the movie and the blessings he saw--was partly because God was teaching him about what was most important--and then partly because he had lived his life serving and blessing others. I want my children to know that a life spent serving others is a life that can bring real joy and peace and value to their lives!

Jesus tells us that it is better to give than to receive! And HE was right! Merry Christmas!

Bruce

No comments: