Saturday, April 24, 2010

Why Preachers Cry

Tomorrow I will be preaching on "Why Preachers/Prophets Cry" from Lamentations 3. Its been on my heart for some time. I know many preachers who preach on Sundays--and they can spend lots of time researching and polishing and putting together just the perfect sermon. And while they make hospital visits and such--often they mostly focus on preaching--which is good. These preachers often have elders in place to handle more of the shepherding matters. At least in most Churches of Christ that is the norm.

I live a different kind of a life as a preacher. Really, my role is more of a pastoral role. I spend a lot of my time shepherding the flock, counseling and mentoring, dealing with crises, trying to develop leaders, making sure we have teachers to teach on Wednesday nights, and often giving rides to work or providing other on the ground help to families. I have two wonderful men on the leadership team with me who also function in shepherd roles.

I guess because in our congregation, it is such a heavily outreach focus work and we have many new Christians among our flock--the work can be very difficult when it comes to looking after those new "sheep" if you will. I often learn things about people I'd rather not know. I often know details about people's lives that are very heartbreaking. And I often find myself in the role of holding brothers or sisters accountable for sin. This is not one of the more glamorous parts of ministry. They don't really teach such things in seminary.

So often I see people who are excited when they first become a Christian, but after the newness wares off and they find themselves wanting to remain involved in church but also wanting to maintain a life in sin--a decision often has to be made--"Should I stay or should I go now." Too often I have seen new Christians wonder away because it was too hard to give up their fleshly desires. Satan loves to pull new Christians back into his misery. And as a church leader, its one of the most painful and difficult things to experience.

They say that in today's standards, Jeremiah would be considered a failure when it comes to ministry! NO ONE EVER LISTENED TO HIM! He often begged and pleaded with his fellow Israelites to repent and follow God and they not only laughed at him and refused to listen--but often they physically punished him. Then I think of Moses getting so frustrated with the people who had been so blessed by God by HIS delivering them from bondage in Egypt--and yet how quickly they could turn on God and complain against Him.

Sometimes you just feel like a total failure--that you want sooooo bad for your brothers and sisters in Christ to understand how important it is to stay faithful to God--and often they get upset and irritated with you. Sometimes they get very angry and say harsh things. God has gifted me to be able to see beyond the now--and see how awful lives will be when people reject God over and over. When you love people so desperately and want them to not have to suffer the consequences of sin and not suffer from being apart from God. Its really hard.

I can empathize with Jeremiah and Moses. But what I do know--is it is not my job to save anyone. Nor is it my job to force someone to do what is right. God gave us all free will. But it is my job to teach the truth and stand up for what is right--including in my own home.

Ultimately we are all individually accountable to God. But I just so want to see God's people not only get to go to heaven--but to also get to enjoy the abundant life Jesus promised while we are still in this life!

Sometimes when I see people just ignoring God and rebelling against HIM and suffering the consequences over and over--just makes me sometimes cry! But I endure, I persevere and I put all my trust and hope in the Lord. He is worthy to be praised!

Bruce

No comments: