Saturday, May 15, 2010

THE CHRISTIAN ATHEIST

I recently wrote a post regarding how difficult it is for many Christians to develop an intimate relationship with God. Whether it is an older Christian who sits in the pews everytime the doors are open at a traditional church or a Christian who is in a newer Christian at a more progressive and evangelistic congregation--both often struggle with the same problem--they don't really know God!

There is a book I am reading called "The Christian Athiest" by Craig Groeschel. Groceschel is a pastor who once almost lost his relationship with God--because for years he had served God--but never really knew God! That may sound kinda crazy, but how many of us have actually experienced such things? My wife (who is not ashamed to express this) has struggled with just that struggle in the past. And I see many young people who also struggle with this--they attend church and youth activities--but they really struggle to really have a conversation with God.

I often deal with Christians in my congregation or other walks of life that I minister to--who just absolutely struggle--because when the storms of life hit (albeit often Satan)--they don't immediately turn to God and seek HIM and cry to HIM and praise HIS name constantly! Instead they turn to the world! And then their struggles and pain and heartaches just get worse--because they get the wrong medicine if you will?

Where are you? How is your relationship with God? I mean honestly? Not the standard response we give because we don't really want anyone to know how broken we are. But a "REAL" and honest response that allows ourselves and God to really see what needs to be healed. Well really, God already knows. But HE CAN ONLY HELP US IN OUR REALITY, NOT OUR FAKENESS!

Whenever I help one of our members or just anyone who has a sin struggle or some other kind of problem--I always make it clear that their real problem is not their sin or what appears to be attacking them--but instead--their real problem is their lack of relationship with Jesus!

I encourage all of us to keep really seeking to get to know God! I encourage all of us to begin a series of conversations and dialogues with HIM! If you need to cry or gripe or complain--TELL HIM! He can handle it! If you need to spend more time in God's word--so your spirit is constantly being reminded of a way to live--that will give us more peace and joy and less stress--then open up that "life giving word!"

An elder at another congregation who has been a mentor to me for many years once said this statement to me that was so incredibly thought provoking and really changed my entire outlook on ministry--he said this: "I don't care how much someone goes to church or does good works or can quote the Bible. Either people know the Lord or they don't!" Wow! I am not taking that statement and applying it to many well meaning and sincere Christians who love God, but maybe lack some in their relationship with HIM. But I think it is worth at least pondering for each of our own relationships with the ONE who created us?

What do you think? Are you or someone you know showing the fruit of a "Christian Athiest?" It doesn't have to stay that way!

"They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him" (Titus 1:16).

1 comment:

Kent Sutherland said...

Most of the ones you reference in this piece have no awareness of their "atheist" tendencies. Probably all disciples of Jesus have been there during times of despair or weakness. It's one thing to believe in God and quite another to believe him. It takes a lot of practice. At least that's my opinion and my experience. Now I'm just praising the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit for all they do to sustain my life and my faith.