Friday, June 4, 2010

SIMPLISTIC DISCIPLING

Last night myself and our summer intern were walking around Allenhurst and Peachtree Apartments. Our intern has no desire to go serve in a traditional church and preach to saved people every week--he has a hunger to work with the "lesser of these" and those who have no church background. The same kind of people Jesus spent most of his time with and served. As we walked around Peachtree, it was so refreshing.

For one, we were really working that complex hard last summer, until my family went through a rough time and I was just way over extended going several nights a week in ministry. But I saw several families and individuals who remembered me and their smiles were so uplifting to me. Of course, there are always a few who seem a bit intimidated by church people and awkward at first. But usually, if you just show them unconditional love and kindness, they soften up pretty quick.

I met a young man named Jose who had just moved here from Chicago. He was tatooed from head to toe and looked as if he had lived a most interesting life. He said he would not have stayed alive much longer in Chicago due to a bad gang situation. When we first approached him, I thought he might be a bit defensive and uncomfortable. And yet, he seemed so happy that we took the time to talk to him and enjoyed being made to feel special--as he is--all of us God created are special! Early on in Genesis we are told clearly that we are made in God's image! We left Jose with a big smile on his face, and I pray that the name of Jesus is still resonating in his head--as thats who we wanted him to really know about--not us. I explained to our intern--that while I always have my Bible in my hand--my first goal is to just make friends with people and earn their trust. Then they are more open to hearing about Jesus!

Are there some parts of your community like Allenhurst or Peachtree Apartments you and your church can go evangelize and show love to people who need that love so desperately! It will bless you and your congregation immensely! God is ready to do big things in your community! Are you ready to go?

Remember Jesus' instructions of what we call The Great Commission:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:18-20, NIV).

No comments: