Sunday, March 14, 2010

My Diverse Job

I say job, I truly don't look at being a minister as a job. There are many good ministers out there who have secular jobs and give their extra time to serve the Lord's Church. I am blessed to be able to provide for my family and serve the Lord full time--at least for now. In my ministry, that kinda goes year to year as if I will have a salary. My work does not have a 401K or health benefits--but the Lord does take good care of us! But again, its not a job--its a labor of love! And really, how can I not preach the good news of Jesus Christ?

One of the things I love about my work--is the often diverse things I get to be a part of and experience. This last Saturday--I found myself taking a few of our members to meet up with another congregation's members to go help them knock doors in the neighborhood near their building. Later that morning, I was on the phone counseling one of our members who was struggling with a personal crisis. Later in the day, I had to put together a last minute sermon since the one I was going to do got postponed a couple of weeks. Then I met over at Mesquite Church of Christ to baptize a young man whose dad is one of my oldest friends. An hour later, I was sitting at Grandy's eating some good chicken fried steak and doing some pre-marital counseling with a couple I will be marrying next month. Later that evening I had another crisis situation that needed some help. But let me be clear--I really can't help anyone--I just direct people to our God of grace and mercy and love and His blueprint for life--His word--The Holy Bible!

In my work, I often find myself ministering to all kinds of people--not just my congregation nor the families who live at Allenhurst and Peachtree Apartments. But all kinds of people--and I take great joy in the diversification of my work. I am thankful and honored to serve God. He blesses me and my sweet family everyday! I am excited about future journeys in which He may lead me!

He Is Faithful and mighty to save!

Bruce

No comments: